Search This Blog

Thursday 1 January 2015

Reducing Cleaning in Brent

Looking at Brent's budget options again, I see that reducing cleaning is among those mooted.  The suggested reductions come in three bits.  The first, ceasing to clean residential streets altogether, strikes me as impossible.  I had always understood that was a statutory requirement, so just not doing it would break the law, quite apart from the other issues.  If I am right in this, I don't see what the point is in having it in the options consulted on.

The other two parts, taking away mechanical sweepers and weekend litter picking in parks, are possible, but will not be popular.  I would think it would also have knock on effects as the litter blows about.  Street cleaning and grounds maintenance is one area which very definitely identified in the public mind as a Council responsibility, so cutting it so drastically is politically extremely hazardous.

No comments:

Post a Comment